Bean Batter Corndogs
Yield: 8 corndogs
Nutrition (2 corndogs)
|canola oil for frying|
|1 cup||yellow cornmeal||250 mL|
|1/4 cup||flour||60 mL|
|3 tbsp||white sugar||45 mL|
|1 tbsp||baking powder||15 mL|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 mL|
|1 cup||buttermilk||250 mL|
|1 cup||white kidney beans, puréed||250 mL|
|2 tbsp||canola oil||30 mL|
|1/4 cup||cornstarch, for dredging||60 mL|
|8||all-beef hot dogs||8|
|8||6" wooden sticks||8|
|Condiments:||ketchup, mustard, cheese sauce|
A secret ingredient puts a twist on this traditional street food. All-beef wieners, coated in a cornmeal and white bean batter, then deep fried until golden brown.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- In a medium pot, add 4 inches (10 cm) of canola oil, heat to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; stir to combine. Add buttermilk, puréed beans, egg, and canola oil; stir until batter is combined.
- Place each hot dog on stick. In a shallow bowl add cornstarch. Roll hot dogs in cornstarch and shake off any excess.
- Pour batter into a tall glass. Working in batches of 2, dip hot dogs in batter, turning the stick slowly as you remove to ensure batter sticks. Immediately place into oil and cook until batter is golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, or until corndog floats. With tongs, remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately with your choice of condiments.
* The sticks must be wood as they will be deep fried.