Bean “Meat” Balls & Spaghetti
Yield: 20 meatballs - 4 servings
Nutrition (1 serving)
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|1 package||white mushrooms, sliced||1 package|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced||2 cloves|
|1 can||Romano beans, drained and rinsed||540mL|
|1 cup||breadcrumbs, divided||250 mL|
|1/2 cup||Parmesan cheese, grated||125 mL|
|1/4 cup||parsley, chopped||60 mL|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 mL|
|1/4 tsp||pepper||1 mL|
|1/2 tbsp||dried oregano||7.5 mL|
|1 lb||dried spaghetti||454 g|
|Garnish||Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh parsley|
These simple and hearty “meat”balls are made with Romano beans and umami-rich mushrooms. Featuring classic Italian flavours that you have come to love in a traditional meatball.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add canola oil, onion, and mushrooms; cook until onion is translucent, and mushrooms have released their moisture, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, allow to cool 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, add mushroom and onion mixture, and Romano beans. Pulse just until combined, not pureed.
- In a medium bowl add bean-mushroom mixture, egg, 3/4 cup breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper; mix until well combined. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl add remaining breadcrumbs and oregano, mix to combine.
- Using your hands, form bean-mushroom mixture into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls; roll in breadcrumbs and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-heat, add tomato sauce and cooked bean “meat”balls. Cover and simmer until sauce is warmed through, about 8 minutes.
- While the sauce warms, prepare spaghetti as per package directions.
- Serve bean “meat”balls and sauce over spaghetti noodles. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley, if desired.