Black Bean Breakfast Pocket
Yield: 6 pockets
Nutrition (1 pocket)
|1 package||Package butter puff pastry, thawed according to package directions|
|2 tbsp||Milk||30 mL|
|1/4 tsp||each salt and freshly cracked black pepper||1 mL|
|1 tbsp||Canola oil||15 mL|
|1/4 lb||Italian sausages, casing removed||0.11 kg|
|1/2 cup||Black Beans, drained and rinsed||125 mL|
|3/4 cup||Grated cheddar cheese, divided||175 mL|
Put a twist on a childhood classic! These savoury and cheesy breakfast pockets are a filled with eggs, sausage and black beans making them a perfect breakfast treat.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs, milk, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 5 minutes until browned, breaking up large pieces with a spatula. Stir in black beans, cook 2 minutes. Lower heat to low; add eggs to skillet and cook until scrambled, 2-3 minutes; remove skillet from heat.
- Lay each sheet of butter puff pastry on a lightly floured surface; using a rolling pin, lightly roll the first sheet to 8 x 10 inches (20.5 x 25.5 cm); set aside. Lightly roll the second sheet slightly larger, about 9.5 x 11.5 inches (24 x 29 cm); set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg for egg wash; set aside.
- Working with the smaller rectangle, divide ½ cup (125 mL) of grated cheddar cheese onto the dough in a 2 x 3 (5 x 7.5 cm) grid, leaving a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border. Place 2 heaping spoonfuls of bean filling on top of the cheese. Using a pastry brush, brush egg wash along the border and around the filling. Carefully place the remaining rectangle of butter puff pastry on top, gently pressing to seal between the filling. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut into 6 rectangles.
- Place pockets on a parchment lined baking sheet. Press edges together with fork tines to seal. Brush tops with egg wash. Bake 8 minutes; remove from oven, top with remaining ¼ cup (60 mL) cheddar cheese; return to oven and bake an additional 6 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Tip: Bake and freeze for an easy weekday morning meal. Simply remove from freezer and reheat in oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15 minutes.