Caribbean Rice and Beans
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition (For 1 serving)
|½ cup||dried adzuki beans||125 mL|
|1 can light coconut milk||400 ml|
|½ cup||water||125 mL|
|1 tsp||each ground allspice and ground ginger||5 mL|
|1 cup||jasmine rice, rinsed||250 mL|
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|1 cup||yellow onion, diced||250 mL|
|1||clove garlic, minced||1|
|1 tsp||salt||5 mL|
|Garnish: chopped green onion|
This Caribbean-inspired rice and beans takes two pantry staples to the next level for a flavour-packed weeknight side-dish.
Soak Time: 2+ hours
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 55 minutes
Total Time: 4+ hours
- In a medium saucepan, add adzuki beans and cover with 1½ cups of water; ensure beans are fully submerged and covered by at least 1-inch (2.5 cm) of water. Soak 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Drain beans and replace with 3 cups of fresh water. Over high-heat bring to a boil; reduce to low and simmer for 1½ hours, or until beans are very soft. As the water boils down, you may need to add more to keep beans submerged. Once cooked, drain and set until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add coconut milk, water, allspice and ginger; whisk to combine. Add rice and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Fluff rice with fork.
- Heat canola oil in a medium non-stick pan over medium-high; add onion, cook 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic, cook 1 minute, stirring often. Add adzuki beans, cook 3-4 minutes. Transfer beans to rice, season with salt, fold together and garnish with green onions. Serve alongside grilled meat like jerk chicken or grilled beef skewers.
- For a complete meal serve with a fresh side salad