Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Yield: 10 wraps
Nutrition (2 wraps)
|19 oz||White pea beans (also known as navy beans), drained and rinsed (1 can)||540 mL|
|1 tbsp||Sesame oil||15 mL|
|1 lb||Ground chicken||0.5 kg|
|1 package||Shiitake mushroom caps, stems removed, chopped||100 g|
|1/2 cup||Low-sodium chicken broth||125 mL|
|1/4 cup||Low-sodium soy sauce||50 mL|
|3 tbsp||Hoisin sauce||45 mL|
|1 tbsp||Cornstarch||15 mL|
|1/2 tsp||Freshly grated ginger||2.5 mL|
|3 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|3/4 cup||Unsalted cashews, roughly chopped||175 mL|
|2 heads||Butter lettuce, leaves separated (10 large leaves)|
|5||Green onions, chopped|
|Optional garnish: Sesame seeds and hot sauce|
These easy cashew chicken lettuce wraps will quickly become your families go-to recipe when you need a meal in a pinch. Packed with protein and fibre this one-pot meal also has a hidden serving of vegetables.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water; set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken; cook 5 minutes, breaking up large pieces with a spatula, until browned. Add chopped shiitake mushroom caps and white pea beans, cook 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, cornstarch, ginger, and garlic. Stir into skillet with bean and meat blend; cook over low heat until sauce has thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in cashews; remove from heat.
- Serve in lettuce “cups,” topped with green onions, sesame seeds, and hot sauce to taste, if desired.
- Substitute romaine hearts for butter lettuce.
- For a heartier wrap add a spoonful of cooked rice before filling with chicken & bean mixture.