Easy Pull Apart Bread
Yield: 1 Loaf; Bean Paste: 3 cups - 8 servings
Nutrition (1 serving)
|Red Bean Paste:*|
|1 cup||dried adzuki beans||250 mL|
|1 1/2 cups||sugar||375 mL|
|1/2 cup||butter||125 mL|
|pinch of salt|
|2 packages||Pillsbury country style biscuits, at room temperature||2 packages|
Move over monkey bread, there’s a new pull-apart treat in town. This tasty layered bread is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, making it perfect for breakfast with coffee.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 ½ hours
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Red Bean Paste
- In a medium sauce pan, add adzuki beans and cover with enough water to fully submerge by at least 1 inch. Soak 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Drain and replace with 4-5 cups of fresh water. Over high-heat bring to a boil; reduce to low and allow to simmer for 1½ hours, or until beans are very soft. As the water boils down, you may need to add more to keep beans s Once cooked, drain and allow to cool slightly.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade add warm beans; blend until smooth and no clumps remain.
- Return puréed beans to sauce pan over medium-heat. Add sugar, butter, and salt; cook, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes until butter is melted and well combined; set aside, and cool completely.
- Lightly grease a 5 x 9 inch (12.5 x 22 cm) loaf pan; set aside.
- Remove biscuits from both packages and separate rounds, there should be 20 total. Flatten to 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) thick. Spread 1 tbsp (15 mL) bean paste onto flatten rounds. With the shortest side of the pan facing you, begin placing stacks of rounds in the pan on their side, pressing together lightly until no rounds remain.
- Tent loaf with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes, until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pan to serve.
* Refrigerate leftover bean paste in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Use leftovers on toast or treat yourself to another loaf.