Nutrition (3 Falafels)
Protein 7 g;
Total Fat 48 g;
Saturated Fat 8.5 g;
Trans Fat 0.9 g;
Carbohydrates 63 g;
Fibre 20.2 g;
Sugar 12.4 g;
Sodium 1452 mg;
Cholesterol 26 mg;
Vitamin A 212 RE;
Vitamin C 29 g;
Calcium 454 g;
Iron 6.5 g;
|38 oz||Kidney beans, drained and rinsed (2 cans)||1020 mL|
|3||Green onions, chopped|
|3 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|1 cup||Lightly packed fresh cilantro||250 mL|
|1 tbsp||Coriander||15 mL|
|1 tbsp||Freshly squeezed lemon juice||15 mL|
|1 tsp||Cumin||5 mL|
|1/4 tsp||Salt||1 mL|
|1/4 cup||All-purpose flour||60 mL|
|2 cups||Canola oil, for frying||250 mL|
|1/4 cup||Tahini||60 mL|
|1/4 cup||Warm water||60 mL|
|3 tbsp||Freshly Squeezed lemon juice||45 mL|
|1 clove||Garlic, minced|
|5 oz||Baby arugula (1 container)||142 g|
|1/2||Cucumber, sliced (large)|
|2||Tomatoes, vine ripe, diced|
|1/2||Red Onion, thinly sliced (small)|
|1 cup||Pickled turnip||250 mL|
|4 oz||Feta cheese, crumbled||115 g|
Protein packed falafel is made with kidney beans as an alternative to chickpeas, served with cucumber, red onion, and tomato over a bed of arugula and tahini garlic dressing.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade add green onions, garlic, cilantro, coriander, lemon juice, cumin, and salt. Add beans to food processor, pulse until chopped and blended, but not puréed. Add flour and baking powder, lightly pulse to combine. Scoop out 3 large spoonfuls of bean mixture and using your hands gently form into small discs; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, repeat until 12 falafels have been formed. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk tahini, water, lemon juice, and garlic. Add additional water if needed to reach desired consistency.
- In a deep non-stick skillet or wok, heat oil. Using a slotted spoon add 2-3 chilled falafel; deep fry 6 minutes until golden. Transfer to parchment-lined cookie sheet and place in oven to keep warm. Continue to cook remaining falafel, working in batches and transferring to oven as needed.
- Among four bowls, divide arugula, cucumber, tomato, red onion, pickled turnip, feta and 3 falafel patties, drizzle with tahini dressing and serve.