Huevos Rancheros Wonton Nachos
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition (1 serving)
|Pico de Gallo (makes 3 cups)|
|3||Roma tomatoes, seeds removed, diced||3|
|1 cup||sweet onion, diced||250 mL|
|½ cup||chopped cilantro||125 mL|
|1||jalapeno, seeds removed, diced||1|
|Juice from 2 limes|
|1 tsp||salt||5 mL|
|1 package wonton wrappers, cut on a diagonal (approx. 60-65 wrappers)||220g|
|1 cup||canola oil, for frying||250 mL|
|19oz||1 can black beans, drained and rinsed||540mL|
|1||1 clove garlic, crushed||1|
|1 tbsp||water||15 mL|
|2 tsp||chili powder||10 mL|
|1 tsp||cumin||5 mL|
|1 cup||grated cheddar cheese||250 mL|
|4||green onion, sliced||4|
|Optional garnishes: diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream|
Crispy wonton chips are topped with cheddar cheese, Mexican-spiced black beans, and baked until cheese is melted, before being topped with an over-easy egg. Serve with homemade Pico de Gallo.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice and salt, mix to combine; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches of 6-7, add wontons and fry 1 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Repeat until no wontons remain.
- In a medium bowl, add black beans and lightly mash with a fork. Add garlic, water, chili powder, and cumin, mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Spread wonton chips in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet; top with black bean mixture and grated cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a medium non-stick pan over medium heat, cook eggs over-easy or until desired doneness.
- Remove wonton chips from oven, divide evenly among 6 plates. Top each with egg and sprinkle with green onions. Serve with Pico de Gallo and optional garnishes.
- To lower sodium content, use no salt added canned black beans
Serve with a side of fruit salad or sliced raw vegetables