Yield: 6 servings (4 meatballs per sub)
Nutrition (1 serving)
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|1 cup||onion, finely chopped||250 mL|
|2||cloves garlic, minced||2|
|½ lb||lean ground beef||226 g|
|19 oz||1 can black beans, drained, rinsed and finely chopped||540 mL|
|½ cup||whole wheat breadcrumbs||125 mL)|
|½ cup||Parmesan cheese, grated||125 mL)|
|¼ cup||fresh parsley, chopped||60 mL|
|1 tsp||dried oregano||5 mL|
|¼ tsp||each salt and fresh cracked pepper||1 mL|
|6||6-inch (15 cm) whole wheat sub buns||6|
|2 tbsp||butter, melted||30 mL|
|1½ cups||prepared marinara sauce||355 mL|
|1 cup||mozzarella cheese, grated||250 mL|
A traditional meatball sub with an extra protein twist, topped with rich marinara and mozzarella, baked until melted and crisp. Serve with a fresh side salad and vinaigrette dressing for a complete meal.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, heat canola oil. Add onion; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, allow to cool 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl add cooled onions, ground beef, black beans, egg, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, dried oregano, salt and pepper; mix ingredients until well combined.
- Using your hands, form into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls; place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF (74°C).
- Meanwhile, slice sub rolls down the middle, but not all the way through. Brush buns with melted butter.
- Spread 2 tbsp (30 mL) sauce on the inside of each bun. Add 4 meatballs to each bun. Evenly distribute remaining marinara sauce over top of meatballs. Top with grated cheese and broil on low for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve with additional sauce for dipping if desired.
Meatless Alternative: Replace ground beef with 227g (8 oz) of finely chopped mushrooms. Cook mushrooms with onion, until moisture has been released, about 8 minutes.
- To lower sodium, use no salt added canned black beans and choose a low-sodium marinara sauce
- To further lower fat content, use extra lean ground beef
- Serve with a fresh side salad and vinaigrette dressing