Pressure Cooker Persian Lamb Stew
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition (1 serving, 2 cups rice (0.33 cups) and stew (1.83 cups))
|1 tbsp||butter||15 mL|
|1||small red onion, diced||1|
|1 package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced||227 g|
|3||cloves garlic, minced||3|
|1 tsp||ground turmeric||5 mL|
|½ tsp||ground cinnamon||2.5 mL|
|¼ tsp||each ground cardamom and ground nutmeg||1 mL|
|1.5 lb||boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1½-inch (3.8 cm) cubes||680 g)|
|4 cups||sodium-reduced beef broth||1 L|
|14 oz||1 can fire-roasted tomatoes||398 mL|
|2 - 19 oz||cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed||2 - 540mL|
|1||bunch kale, chopped||1|
|1 tbsp||cornstarch||15 mL|
|2 cups||brown rice, cooked as per package direction||500 mL|
Inspired by traditional Persian spices, lamb shoulder is braised with white kidney beans, kale and mushrooms, for a hearty meal perfect for an intimate gathering or special occasion.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- Set pressure cooker to sauté and melt butter. Add onion and mushrooms, sauté until mushrooms release water and onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 minute. Add turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, stir. Add lamb; cook 5 minutes or until browned and coated in spices (add 1 tbsp (15 mL) water if needed to coat). Deglaze the pot with ½ cup (125 mL) beef broth, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add remaining broth, tomatoes, white kidney beans and kale.
- Place lid on pressure cooker, select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 30 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Set pressure cooker to sauté. Using a measuring cup, remove ¼ cup of broth. Add cornstarch and mix to combine; add to stew and allow to thicken 2-3 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice or mashed potatoes.
- To lower sodium content, use no salt added canned white kidney beans