Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Yield: 5 steaks
Nutrition (1 steak)
|2 tbsp||canola oil, divided||30 mL|
|1/2 cup||onion, diced||125 mL|
|1 cup||canned black beans, drained and rinsed||250 mL|
|1lb||ground beef||0.45 kg|
|1/4 cup||bread crumbs||60 mL|
|2 tsp||ketchup||10 mL|
|1 tsp||yellow mustard||5 mL|
|1 tsp||Worcestershire sauce||5 mL|
|1/2 tsp||garlic powder||2.5 mL|
|2 tbsp||fresh parsley, finely chopped||30 mL|
|4 tbsp||unsalted butter, divided||60 mL|
|1/2 lb||crimini mushrooms, sliced||227g|
|2 cloves||garlic, chopped||2 cloves|
|1 tsp||fresh thyme, chopped||5 mL|
|2 tbsp||all-purpose flour||30 mL|
|1 1/2 cups||beef stock||350 mL|
|2 tsp||Dijon mustard||10 mL|
|2 tsp||Worcestershire sauce||10 mL|
|pinch of salt and pepper|
Salisbury steak smothered in mushroom gravy, is a quick, inexpensive and hearty meal, that also offers a generous serving a fibre, the whole family will love.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl lightly mash black beans with a fork. Add cooked onions, ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and parsley. Mix until well combined. Form mixture into 5 round patties; about ¾ inch (2 cm) thick.
- In the same pan used for the onion, over medium heat, add remaining canola oil. When oil is hot add patties; cook until browned, about 8 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and tent with foil.
- In the same pan, over medium-high heat melt 2 tbsp butter. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add remaining butter, garlic, thyme, and flour; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently so garlic doesn’t burn. Add broth to deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits. Whisk in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until gravy thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Place patties in pan with gravy, including juices. Cook for 8 minutes or until patties register 160°F (71°C), stirring gravy occasionally around the steaks.
- Serve Salisbury steaks and mushroom gravy with your choice of side such as mashed potatoes and green beans.