Stuffed Pasta Shells
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition (For 1 serving)
|19 oz||White pea beans (also known as navy beans), drained and rinsed (1 can)||540 mL|
|3/4 cup||Ricotta cheese||175 mL|
|1/2 cup||Frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry, packed||125 mL|
|3/4 cup||Grated Parmesan cheese, divided||175 mL|
|1/4 tsp||each salt and fresh cracked black pepper||1 mL|
|2 tbsp||Butter||30 mL|
|3 cloves||garlic, minced|
|2 tbsp||Flour||30 mL|
|2 cups||2% milk||500 mL|
|1/2 lb||Jumbo pasta shells, cooked al dente per package directions (about 20 shells)||250 g|
Jumbo pasta shells are stuffed with white pea bean puree, ricotta cheese, and spinach and baked in creamy garlic sauce. Serve with a lightly dressed green salad for a complete meal.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water. Transfer beans to bowl of food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process on high for 2-3 minutes or until beans are puréed and no clumps remain. Transfer purée to a large mixing bowl.
- To the bean purée add ricotta, spinach, ½ cup (125 mL) Parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper. Stir until spinach is evenly incorporated. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Add garlic and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute or until fragrant. Sprinkle flour into saucepan; stir until mixture is well blended, about 2 minutes. Slowly pour milk into saucepan, whisking constantly, until sauce begins to boil and thicken, about 4-5 minutes. Whisk in remaining Parmesan cheese until melted. Reduce heat to low while the shells are stuffed; whisking occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a large 9 x 13 inch (22cm x 33 cm) or 3-qt. (2.8 L) baking dish with non-stick spray. Using a ladle, spoon about ½ cup (125 mL) of sauce into baking dish; evenly spread along bottom.
- Working with one shell at a time, fill with two heaping spoonfuls of bean mixture. Carefully arrange stuffed shells in prepared baking dish. Remove remaining sauce from heat and pour evenly over stuffed shells.
- Lightly tent baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until hot and cooked through. Serve hot with a side salad for a complete meal.