White Bean & Chickpea Hummus with Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
Yield: 16 servings (1/4 cup per serving)
Nutrition (For 1 serving)
|Roasted Red Pepper Pesto: (¾ cup)|
|1||red pepper, halved, seeds and membrane removed||1|
|3 tbsp||olive oil, divided||60 mL|
|1 tsp||balsamic vinegar||5 mL|
|¼ cup||chopped raw almonds||60 mL|
|10||10 basil leaves, chopped||10|
|Hummus: (4 cups)|
|19 oz||1 can white pea beans (navy beans), drained and rinsed||540 mL|
|19 oz||1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed||540 mL|
|3 tbsp||tahini||45 mL|
|2 tbsp||extra virgin olive oil||30 mL|
|Juice of 2 lemons|
|½ tsp||each ground cumin and salt||2.5 mL|
|3 tbsp||cold water||45 mL|
A flavourful hummus with an extra boost of protein. White pea beans (navy beans) and chickpeas are blended together and topped with a roasted red pepper pesto. Serve with whole wheat pita crisps, crackers or your favourite veggies.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto:
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF (230ºC)
- Place pepper halves on a foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil. Roast until skins are blistered and charred, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil and set aside. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Once peppers have cooled enough to handle, remove and discard skin. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade add roasted red peppers, garlic, remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, balsamic vinegar, almonds and basil; pulse until finely chopped, but not puréed.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, add white pea beans, chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt. Process until smooth, adding water, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time until desired consistency is reached. Remove hummus to a serving bowl, spoon pesto over hummus; serve with whole wheat pita crisps, crackers or your favourite veggies.
Note: Keep extra pesto and hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- To lower sodium content, use no salt added canned beans