Yield: 6 servings (2¼ cups per serving)
Nutrition (1 serving)
Protein 19.8 g;
Total Fat 27.7 g;
Saturated Fat 12.6 g;
Trans Fat 0.8 g;
Carbohdrates 38.9 g;
Fibre 5.9 g;
Sugar 4.4 g;
Cholesterol 84 mg;
Sodium 1063 mg;
Vitamin A 403 RE;
Vitamin C 22 mg;
Calcium 96 mg;
Iron 2.5 mg;
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|4||hot Italian sausages, casings removed||4|
|1||small sweet onion, diced||1|
|3||cloves garlic, minced||3|
|1 tsp||red pepper flakes||5 mL|
|4 cups||sodium-reduced chicken broth||1 L|
|2 cups||water||500 mL|
|3||medium white potatoes, cut into ½-inch (1.25 cm) cubes||3|
|19 oz||1 can romano beans, drained and rinsed||540 mL|
|1||bunch kale, roughly chopped||1|
|1 cup||heavy cream (35%)||250 mL|
|Optional: sour cream|
This classic creamy Tuscan soup made with Italian sausage, potatoes, kale and beans is the perfect weeknight meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with spatula, approximately 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes; cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add broth, water and potatoes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add beans and kale, cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in heavy cream.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Can’t handle the heat? Omit the red pepper flakes.
- Use no salt added romano beans to further lower sodium content
- Use 2% or 3.25% milk in place of heavy cream to lower the fat content