- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (such as canola) (15 mL)
- 4 slices bacon,* sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 5 cups cooked white pea beans (1 1/4 L)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1 can of tomato paste (6 oz./170 mL)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (75 mL)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, dark corn syrup or molasses (50 mL)
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bacon, onion and green pepper and cook until onions and pepper begin to soften.
Transfer mixture into a 5-6 quart (6 L) casserole or bean pot. Add beans and mix. Combine tomato paste, salt, sugar and syrup or molasses and stir into bean mixture.
Bake covered at 350° F (180°C) for about 1 hour or until heated throughout. Add water if necessary to give desired consistency. If more colour is desired, remove cover from casserole during last 15-20 minutes of baking.
*Vegetarian Alternative: Omit bacon
- Calories: 281
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Fiber: 6.6 g
- Protein: 13 g
Keywords: Baked Beans, Canadian Baked Beans, Easy Baked Beans