These crispy chicken egg rolls are baked, not fried. Filled with spicy chicken, black beans, shredded cabbage, carrots and Brussels sprouts, they are the perfect appetizer when served with spicy aioli.
- Cooking spray, as needed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup (125 ml) shredded red cabbage
- ½ cup (125 mL) matchstick carrots
- ½ cup (125 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) hot sauce of your choice, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded rotisserie chicken*
- 1 cup (250 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) water, divided
- 12 large egg roll wrappers
Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add oil, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots; cook 10 minutes until softened, remove from heat and cool 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine mayonnaise, 1 tbsp (15 mL) hot sauce and garlic powder, mix to combine; set aside.
In a large bowl, add shredded chicken, black beans, cooled cabbage, carrots and brussels sprouts, remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) hot sauce and 2 tbsp (30 mL) water; mix to combine, ensuring ingredients are coated with sauce.
Working on a clean, dry surface, place egg roll wrapper, points facing top and bottom like a diamond. Place ¼ cup (60 mL) of filling in the bottom half of wrapper, leaving enough space from the corner to fold upwards. Using your finger or a small brush, add a small amount of water around the edges of the egg roll. Starting from the bottom corner, fold up over the filling; fold right and left corners towards the center, roll to finish. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining wrappers.
Lightly spray rolls with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the wrappers are golden brown. Serve with spicy aioli.
- In a sauté pan with a lid, poach one boneless, skinless chicken breast in ½ cup (125 mL) water for 15 minutes; remove from water and shred.
- To lower sodium, use no salt added canned black beans.
Keywords: black beans