- 2 cups short pasta of your choice, cooked (500 mL)
- 2 tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves, finely chopped (15 mL)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (19 oz) can white kidney or great northern beans, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 1 (19 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 1 (19 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 1 (19 oz) can diced tomatoes (540 mL)
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded (250 mL)
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 8 cups reduced sodium chicken or veggie broth (2 L)
- 1 tbsp pepper (15 mL)
Cook pasta according to directions on package. Cook until al dente, drain and toss with half the oil. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil on high. Add garlic and sauté until golden. Lower heat to medium and add carrots, celery and onion. Cook until soft, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add thyme and bay leaf and raise heat to high. Add beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini and bay leaf. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, skimming foam from top.
Season with pepper and remove bay leaf. Add cooked pasta and enjoy!