Quick Sausage and White Bean Cassoulet
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Dinner, Comfort Food
Cassoulet is traditionally a slow-cooked bean stew with several steps and a long ingredient list. It’s good to make if you have the time and inclination, but for those of us short on both, this quick version comes together in a snap. Delicious and nutritious, this is a great meal for busy weeknights, plus there’s just one pan to wash.
- 5 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4–6 Italian, chorizo or bratwurst sausages
- 4 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooked navy or white kidney beans OR 1 (19oz /540 mL) can navy or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped kale, centre ribs removed
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Preheat the oven to 425F.
Scatter 4 1/2 cups tomatoes over the bottom of the baking dish (reserve about 1/2 cup to add later). Place the sausages, garlic, and onion over top. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Top with the rosemary and thyme sprigs and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and stir in beans, reserved 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes, kale, and chicken broth. Return to the oven and roast for another 15-20 minutes, until the kale is softened, tomatoes have burst, and sausages are crispy. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with chopped parsley. Spoon into bowls and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with crusty bread.
Keywords: cassoulet, navy beans, white kidney beans