A classic mac and cheese with a boost of fibre! Elbow macaroni is baked in a creamy smoked white cheddar bean sauce and topped with a crispy breadcrumb topping. Serve with bacon bits and green onions.
- 3/4 lb elbow macaroni, uncooked (340 g)
- 1 (19 oz) can white pea beans (navy beans), drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk (375 mL)
- 4 tbsp butter, divided (45 mL)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (small)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (15 mL)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (1 mL)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (0.5 ml)
- 2 1/2 cups grated smoked white cheddar cheese (625 mL)
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs (175 mL)
- Optional garnish: cooked bacon bits and chopped green onion
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
Cook macaroni al dente according to package directions. Strain and return to pot, set aside.
Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water. Transfer beans to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add ½ cup (125 mL) of milk; process until smooth. Add another ½ cup (125 mL) milk and pulse until combined.
In a large skillet over medium heat melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute until fragrant. Add puréed beans, Dijon mustard, nutmeg and cayenne pepper, stir to combine. Cook until bubbling, about 8 minutes. Add remaining milk, stir to combine. Add grated cheese, a ½ cup (125 mL) at a time, stirring until melted; continue until no cheese remains. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper. Transfer sauce into pot with macaroni, stir until combined. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) casserole dish.
In a small microwave safe bowl, melt remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of butter. Add seasoned breadcrumbs, stir until moistened. Spread evenly over macaroni and bake 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden.
Serve hot garnished with bacon bits and green onions if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 servings
- Calories: 487
- Sugar: 4.1 g
- Sodium: 715 mg
- Fat: 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 53.9 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 22.2 g
- Cholesterol: 56 mg