By: Relish the Bite
- 1 cup Red Kidney Beans (Rajma) soaked for 4 hours in water
- 1 cup paneer, cubed
- 1 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Ginger minced
- 1 Green chili pepper chopped finely
- 1 1/2 cups Onion chopped finely
- 1 cup Tomato chopped finely
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Cilantro to garnish
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili powder adjust to taste
- 1 tsp Salt adjust to taste
Steps in Instant Pot:
To prepare, soak the kidney beans in 3 cups of water for about 4 hours or overnight.
Sauté oil, cumin seeds, chili pepper, onions, ginger and garlic in the Instant Pot for for 2-4 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes and spices and sauté for another 2 minutes.
Then add the soaked beans and water to the instant pot and change setting to “Bean/Chili” mode. This will set the cooking time to 30 minutes on high pressure. Release the pressure naturally.
Add the paneer and let it stay in the pot for 5 minutes, which will make it softer, and the gravy should be ready. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.
Steps on Stovetop:
Follow the same steps as above. Just cook the kidney beans on stovetop pressure cooker for 1-2 whistles, and then set the heat to medium and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
OR follow the steps above and cook on stove top for an hour.
- One simple trick to get a thicker gravy texture is to mash some of the cooked kidney beans with a ladle in the same pot.