Traditional Mexican guacamole gets a modern face lift with the addition of fibre-rich black beans, tomato, and red onion.
- 4 Ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 (19 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup loosely packed, chopped, fresh cilantro (60 mL)
- 1/4 tsp each salt and fresh cracked black pepper (1 mL)
In a large mixing bowl, mash avocados with a fork or small potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water. Add black beans to mixing bowl with avocado.
Lightly mash about ¼ of the beans. Add onion, tomato, garlic, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper; mix until well incorporated.
Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Tip: For a super smooth guacamole, pulse the avocados in a food processor before transferring to a large mixing bowl.
- Serving Size: 5.6 oz serving
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 208 g
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 8.7 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0