Indulge in the vibrant flavours of this easy one-pot Jambalaya recipe. Packed with andouille sausage, shrimp, black beans, and peppers, this Cajun-inspired dish brings the taste of Louisiana to your table. Simmered with aromatic spices and fire-roasted tomatoes, it’s a satisfying meal that will transport your taste buds. Top it off with garnishes of choice and enjoy this family favourite!
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (green, red or orange), diced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 lb (500 g) andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1¼ cup (300 mL) uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 can (19oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 lb (500 g) large deveined raw shrimp (about 25), peeled
- Optional garnish: Chopped green onions, hot sauce, chopped fresh parsley
In a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat, add oil and onions. Cook 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add bell peppers and celery; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add sausage, garlic and seasoning; stir to combine, cooking another 1-2 minutes.
Add broth, rice, black beans, and tomatoes. Stir until combined. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium-low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add shrimp; continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until rice is cooked through.
Serve warm with garnish of your choice.
For a substitute to the smoky flavor of andouille, chorizo is a great option. Polish kielbasa can also work, though it may not have the same intensity, it still brings a richness that is similar to andouille.
Have some chicken on hand? Add 1 large chicken breast, diced into ½ inch cubes, to the pot with the onions.
Can’t locate canned fire-roasted tomatoes? Try diced san marzano instead!
Got leftovers? This jambalaya can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, making it the perfect meal to take for lunch the next day!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 582
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 1265mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 34g
- Cholesterol: 167g