A traditional meatball sub with an extra protein twist, topped with rich marinara and mozzarella, baked until melted and crisp. Serve with a fresh side salad and vinaigrette dressing for a complete meal.
- 1 tbsp canola oil 15 mL)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped 250 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ lb lean ground beef 226 g)
- 1 (19 oz) can black beans, drained, rinsed and finely chopped 540 mL)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (125 mL)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated (125 mL)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped (60 mL)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (5 mL)
- ¼ tsp each salt and fresh cracked pepper (1 mL)
- 6 6-inch (15 cm) whole wheat sub buns
- 2 tbsp butter, melted (30 mL)
- 1½ cups prepared marinara sauce (355 mL)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated (250 mL)
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, heat canola oil. Add onion; cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, allow to cool 2-3 minutes.
In a large bowl add cooled onions, ground beef, black beans, egg, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, dried oregano, salt and pepper; mix ingredients until well combined.
Using your hands, form into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls; place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF (74°C).
Meanwhile, slice sub rolls down the middle, but not all the way through. Brush buns with melted butter.
Spread 2 tbsp (30 mL) sauce on the inside of each bun. Add 4 meatballs to each bun. Evenly distribute remaining marinara sauce over top of meatballs. Top with grated cheese and broil on low for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve with additional sauce for dipping if desired.
Meatless Alternative: Replace ground beef with 227g (8 oz) of finely chopped mushrooms. Cook mushrooms with onion, until moisture has been released, about 8 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 Sub
- Calories: 521
- Sodium: 1117 mg
- Fat: 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.3 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 26.5 g
Keywords: Meatball Sub, Bean Meatball Sub, Tradition Meatball Sub, Meatball Sandwich