Fresh haddock filets simmered in a tomato, basil and white bean sauce. Serve over brown rice or with a side salad.
- 4 (4 oz/113 g) haddock filets
- 1 tsp each salt and fresh cracked pepper (5 mL)
- 2 tbsp butter, divided (30 mL)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (450 g)
- 1 cup sodium-reduced vegetable broth (250 mL)
- 1 (540 mL) can white pea beans (navy beans), drained and rinsed
- 10 basil leaves, chopped
Pat haddock dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter. Add haddock and cook 4 minutes per side or until browned; remove from heat and set aside.
In the same pan over medium heat add remaining butter and onion, cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute until fragrant. Add tomatoes and cook until slightly blistered, about 5 minutes. Add broth, beans and basil; bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Add haddock to the tomato-bean broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve over brown rice or with a side salad.
To lower sodium content, use no salt added canned white pea beans
Keywords: Seared Haddock Dinner, White Bean Sauce with Fish, Fish Dinner