This vegetarian version of a classic Indian-inspired dish is creamy and easy to make right at home. The tofu is pan fried in a traditional spice until crispy, then simmered with black beans, and served over a bed of basmati rice.
- 12 oz extra firm tofu (350 g)
- 1 (19 oz) can black turtle beans, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided (30 mL)
- 2 tsp ground Coriander (10 mL)
- 2 tsp ground cumin (10 mL)
- 1/2 tsp Salt (2.5 mL)
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced (15 mL)
- 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala (22 mL)
- 1 tbsp turmeric (15 mL)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (2.5 mL)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (796 mL)
- 1 cup heavy cream (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish (125 mL)
- 2 cups basmati rice, prepared according to package directions 500 mL)
- Optional: Greek yogurt or sour cream
Drain liquid from the tofu package and wrap in a clean towel. Place a heavy object on top and press for 10-15 minutes to remove excess moisture (alternatively, use a tofu press). Cut into ½ inch (1.3 cm) cubes.
Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water; set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Add cubed tofu, coriander, cumin and salt; sauté 10 minutes, until tofu is lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
In the same pan, over medium-high heat, add remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Add onion, sauté until soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium, stir in garam masala, turmeric, and paprika, cook 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes and black beans, bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in heavy cream and cooked tofu; simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in chopped cilantro. Serve over cooked basmati rice with an optional dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 605
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 626 mg
- Fat: 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 78.4 g
- Fiber: 9.7 g
- Protein: 21.2 g
- Cholesterol: 51 mg
Keywords: Vegetarian Masala, Black Bean Masala, Tofu Masala, Tofu Black Bean Masala