White Cheddar Bean Mac & Cheese
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition (For 1 serving)
|3/4 lb||Elbow macaroni, uncooked||340 g|
|19 oz||White pea beans (also known as navy beans), drained and rinsed (1 can)||540 mL|
|1 1/2 cups||2% milk||375 mL|
|4 tbsp||Butter, divided||45 mL|
|1/2||Yellow onion, chopped (small)|
|1 clove||garlic, minced|
|1 tbsp||Dijon Mustard||15 mL|
|1/4 tsp||Ground nutmeg||1 mL|
|1/8 tsp||Cayenne pepper||0.5 ml|
|2 1/2 cups||Grated smoked white cheddar cheese||625 mL|
|Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste|
|3/4 cup||seasoned dry breadcrumbs||175 mL|
|Optional garnish: cooked bacon bits and chopped green onion|
A classic mac and cheese with a boost of fibre! Elbow macaroni is baked in a creamy smoked white cheddar bean sauce and topped with a crispy breadcrumb topping. Serve with bacon bits and green onions.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Cook macaroni al dente according to package directions. Strain and return to pot, set aside.
- Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water. Transfer beans to a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add ½ cup (125 mL) of milk; process until smooth. Add another ½ cup (125 mL) milk and pulse until combined.
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute until fragrant. Add puréed beans, Dijon mustard, nutmeg and cayenne pepper, stir to combine. Cook until bubbling, about 8 minutes. Add remaining milk, stir to combine. Add grated cheese, a ½ cup (125 mL) at a time, stirring until melted; continue until no cheese remains. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper. Transfer sauce into pot with macaroni, stir until combined. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch (23 x 33 cm) casserole dish.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of butter. Add seasoned breadcrumbs, stir until moistened. Spread evenly over macaroni and bake 15-20 minutes until bubbly and golden.
- Serve hot garnished with bacon bits and green onions if desired.