Bean flours can be found in some grocery stores, bulk food stores and ethnic or specialty markets. Bean flours can be used in a variety of recipes. They are a great ingredient to use in gluten-free recipes or to boost levels of fibre.
Benefits of using bean flours:
- You can create high protein, high fibre snacks using bean and wheat flour blends
- Beans are naturally gluten free
- Beans are low in fat, and have no trans-fat.
- Beans are easy to blend and incorporate into a range of recipe applications (sweet & savoury, cooking & baking)
- Beans can enhance juiciness in meat applications, moisture content in baked goods, and crispiness in breadings
- Beans can extend or substitute a portion of meat in a recipe, which may also increase juiciness
Bean flours can be included in the following foods (to name a few):
- Breads, cakes, muffins, cookies
- Bagels, tortillas, crackers
- Pastas and noodles
- Sweet and savoury crusts
- Blended meat dishes (meatloaf, meatballs, stuffing)
- Soups and sauces
- Extruded snacks
Try These Bean Flour Recipes
Not only is this pizza crust homemade and delicious, it’s gluten-free! Make one large pizza or individual servings.
Peanut Butter Cookies
Classic peanut butter cookies get a gluten-free makeover thanks to bean flour. You won’t be able to tell the difference!
Banana Bread Mini-Loaves
Dense and flavourful these mini loaves are gluten-free thanks to black bean flour. Serve warm with a smear of butter.