Banana Bean Empanadas
- Yield: 9, 5 oz portions 1x
- 2 tbsp butter or oil (30 mL)
- 2 bananas, sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup diced onion (60 mL)
- 1 can (15 oz) white pea beans (navy beans), drained and rinsed (443 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 mL)
- 1 (17 oz pkg) frozen puff pastry, thawed (500 mL)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (500 mL)
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
Heat butter or oil in medium sauté pan over high heat. Add bananas and sauté until golden. Move the bananas to a large bowl.
Add onion to sauté pan and sauté 3-5 minutes until clear and soft; remove onions and combine with bananas.
Add beans to banana, onion mixture. Using back of fork or potato masher, mash bean filling to coarse paste; season to taste with salt and cool.
Unfold each puff pastry sheet on floured cutting board. Cut each into 9 squares.
Place 1 heaping tablespoon of cheese in the center of each square. Place 1 tablespoon of filling in center on top of the cheese. Fold 1 corner of dough over filling to opposite corner, forming triangle. Using fork, seal edges of the dough.
Arrange on rimmed baking sheet; brush with egg wash. Bake until golden brown and puffed, about 20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 5 oz
- Calories: 445
- Sodium: 218 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 13 mg