Braised Lamb over Creamed White Beans
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Dinner
Braised lamb shanks aren’t just for when company comes over! This easy to prepare recipe uses a slow cooker so you can set it and forget it! Serve with a side of roasted asparagus and potatoes for a complete meal.
- 4 (1 lb/500 g each) lamb shanks
- 2 tsp each, salt and fresh cracked pepper (10 mL)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided (30 mL)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (8 oz/227 g) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth (700 mL)
- ¼ cup cornstarch (60 mL)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (15 mL)
- 1 tbsp each dried rosemary and dried thyme (15 mL)
Creamed White Beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
- 2 (540 mL) cans of white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt (125 mL)
- 1 tsp each, salt and fresh cracked pepper (5 mL)
- Garnish: fresh parsley, finely chopped
Pat lamb dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
In a large non-stick pan or cast iron skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over high heat. Working in two batches, sear lamb shanks on all sides, about 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to a slow cooker, arranging shanks in a single layer.
In the same pan over medium heat add remaining olive oil, onion and mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute; transfer to slow cooker.
In a medium bowl whisk together beef broth, cornstarch, tomato paste, rosemary and thyme; pour into slow cooker; cover and set slow cooker to low for 8 hours.
When lamb shanks are almost done, prepare creamed white beans. In a non-stick pan over medium heat add oil and beans, cook 5 minutes until beans are heated through; add garlic, cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and transfer to a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process until beans are finely chopped. Add greek yogurt, salt and pepper; process until creamy and smooth.
Remove lamb shanks from slow cooker. Transfer drippings from slow cooker to a medium pot over high heat. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes and then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes, just until thickened, whisking occasionally.
Serve lamb over creamed white beans. Top with mushroom gravy and chopped parsley, if desired.
To reduce sodium content, use no salt added canned white beans
To further reduce sodium content, limit salt amount to ½ tsp (2 mL)
Serve with a side of roasted asparagus and potatoes
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 875
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 3037 mg
- Fat: 28 g
- Carbohydrates: 83.8 g
- Fiber: 19.6 g
- Protein: 74.4 g
- Cholesterol: 152 mg