Protein packed falafel is made with kidney beans as an alternative to chickpeas, served with cucumber, red onion, and tomato over a bed of arugula and tahini garlic dressing.
- 2 (19 oz) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed (1020 mL)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro (250 mL)
- 1 tbsp coriander (15 mL)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (15 mL)
- 1 tsp cumin (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (60 mL)
- 2 cups canola oil, for frying (250 mL)
- 1/4 cup tahini (60 mL)
- 1/4 cup warm water (60 mL)
- 3 tbsp freshly Squeezed lemon juice (45 mL)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 oz baby arugula (1 container) (142 g)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced (large)
- 2 tomatoes, vine ripe, diced
- 1/2 red Onion, thinly sliced (small)
- 1 cup pickled turnip (250 mL_
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (115 g)
pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water.
In a food processor fitted with a metal blade add green onions, garlic, cilantro, coriander, lemon juice, cumin, and salt. Add beans to food processor, pulse until chopped and blended, but not puréed. Add flour and baking powder, lightly pulse to combine. Scoop out 3 large spoonfuls of bean mixture and using your hands gently form into small discs; place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, repeat until 12 falafels have been formed. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk tahini, water, lemon juice, and garlic. Add additional water if needed to reach desired consistency.
In a deep non-stick skillet or wok, heat oil. Using a slotted spoon add 2-3 chilled falafel; deep fry 6 minutes until golden. Transfer to parchment-lined cookie sheet and place in oven to keep warm. Continue to cook remaining falafel, working in batches and transferring to oven as needed.
Among four bowls, divide arugula, cucumber, tomato, red onion, pickled turnip, feta and 3 falafel patties, drizzle with tahini dressing and serve.
- Serving Size: 3 falafels
- Calories: 763
- Sugar: 12.4 g
- Sodium: 1452 mg
- Fat: 48 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 20.2 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 26 mg