This flavourful vegetarian recipe brings the essence of a delicious bean and mushroom burrito to a bowl. Featuring smoky portabella mushrooms, seasoned taco rice, and a hearty black bean and corn salsa, every spoonful is bursting with savoury, Mexican-inspired flavours.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) taco seasoning mix
- 1 small red onion, diced, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) jasmine rice
- 1¼ (300 mL) cups water
- 1 can (341 ml) Peaches & Cream corn
- 1 cup (250 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 large portabella mushroom caps, stem removed, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) smoked paprika
In a medium pot over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp oil and cook tomato paste, taco seasoning, and ½ of the red onion, about 1 minute. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 15-18 minutes. Once cooked, fluff with a fork. Set aside.
While the rice cooks, in a medium bowl, mix together the corn, beans, tomatoes, remaining onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
In a large non-stick pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced portabella mushrooms; cook 6-8 minutes or until browned. Sprinkle with smoked paprika; cook another 2-3 minutes.
To assemble bowl, divide rice between 4 bowls. Top with bean and corn salsa, spiced mushrooms, and any optional garnishes.
Smoked paprika adds a subtle smokiness to this dish. Can be substituted with regular paprika or chili powder.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 389
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 618mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 0g