Inspired by traditional Persian spices, lamb shoulder is braised with white kidney beans, kale and mushrooms, for a hearty meal perfect for an intimate gathering or special occasion.
- 1 tbsp butter (15 mL)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced (227 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric (5 mL)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (2.5 mL)
- ¼ tsp each ground cardamom and ground nutmeg (1 mL)
- 1.5 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1½-inch (3.8 cm) cubes (680 g)
- 4 cups sodium-reduced beef broth (1 L)
- 1 (14 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes (398 mL)
- 2 (19 oz) cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed (2 – 540mL)
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (15 mL)
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked as per package direction (500 mL)
Set pressure cooker to sauté and melt butter. Add onion and mushrooms, sauté until mushrooms release water and onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 minute. Add turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, stir. Add lamb; cook 5 minutes or until browned and coated in spices (add 1 tbsp (15 mL) water if needed to coat). Deglaze the pot with ½ cup (125 mL) beef broth, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add remaining broth, tomatoes, white kidney beans and kale.
Place lid on pressure cooker, select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 30 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Set pressure cooker to sauté. Using a measuring cup, remove ¼ cup of broth. Add cornstarch and mix to combine; add to stew and allow to thicken 2-3 minutes.
Serve over brown rice or mashed potatoes.
Tip: To lower sodium content, use no salt added canned white kidney beans
- Serving Size: 1 serving ( 1.83 cups stew and 0.33 cups rice)
- Calories: 695
- Sugar: 5.7 g
- Sodium: 1143 mg
- Fat: 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 101 g
- Fiber: 16.1 g
- Protein: 46.7 g
- Cholesterol: 86 mg