Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 steaks 1x
Salisbury steak smothered in mushroom gravy, is a quick, inexpensive and hearty meal, that also offers a generous serving a fibre, the whole family will love.
- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided (30 mL)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced (125 mL)
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed 250 mL)
- 1 lb ground beef (0.45 kg)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (60 mL)
- 2 tsp ketchup (10 mL)
- 1 tsp yellow mustard (5 mL)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (2.5 mL)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped (30 mL)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided 60 mL)
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced 227g)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped (5 mL)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (30 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock (350 mL)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (10 mL)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (10 mL)
- pinch of salt and pepper
In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl lightly mash black beans with a fork. Add cooked onions, ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and parsley. Mix until well combined. Form mixture into 5 round patties; about ¾ inch (2 cm) thick.
In the same pan used for the onion, over medium heat, add remaining canola oil. When oil is hot add patties; cook until browned, about 8 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and tent with foil.
In the same pan, over medium-high heat melt 2 tbsp butter. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add remaining butter, garlic, thyme, and flour; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently so garlic doesn’t burn. Add broth to deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits. Whisk in Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until gravy thickens, about 5 minutes.
Place patties in pan with gravy, including juices. Cook for 8 minutes or until patties register 160°F (71°C), stirring gravy occasionally around the steaks.
Serve Salisbury steaks and mushroom gravy with your choice of side such as mashed potatoes and green beans.
- Serving Size: 1 steak
- Calories: 431
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 395 mg
- Fat: 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.7 g
- Trans Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 24.7 g
- Cholesterol: 117 mg