- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 24 bites 1x
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 (19 oz) can red kidney or pinto beans, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 1 cup chunky medium salsa (250 mL)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional) (2 mL)
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar or low-fat mozzarella cheese, grated (250 mL)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (50 mL)
- sour cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Using a 4-inch (10 cm) cookie cutter, cut four rounds out of each flour tortilla. Alternatively, use a 3-inch (7.5 cm) cookie cutter to make 7 rounds for mini muffin cups. Press the tortilla rounds into muffin cups. If the tortillas are not soft enough, carefully microwave the rounds for 15 seconds or lightly brush one side with water.
Bake cups for 12-15 minutes, until light golden and crisp (these can be made several days ahead and stored in an airtight container).
While cups are baking, combine the beans, salsa, chili powder, cheese and cilantro into a medium bowl.
For regular muffin pans, spoon 1½ -2 tbsp. (20-30 mL) filling into the tortilla cups, and ½-1 tbsp (7-15 mL) into mini cups.
Place the cups on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Serve warm with a dollop of light sour cream.
- Serving Size: 1 bite (30 g)
- Calories: 94
- Sodium: 258 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 3 mg