This classic creamy Tuscan soup made with Italian sausage, potatoes, kale and beans is the perfect weeknight meal.
- 1 tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 4 hot Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (5 mL)
- 4 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth (1 L)
- 2 cups water (500 mL)
- 3 medium white potatoes, cut into ½-inch (1.25 cm) cubes
- 1 (19 oz) can Romano beans, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream (35%) (250 mL)
- Optional: sour cream
In a large dutch oven or pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with spatula, approximately 5 minutes, or until browned.
Add onion, garlic and red pepper flakes; cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add broth, water and potatoes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add beans and kale, cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in heavy cream.
Ladle into bowls and serve with dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Can’t handle the heat? Omit the red pepper flakes.
- Use no salt added Romano beans to further lower sodium content
- Use 2% or 3.25% milk in place of heavy cream to lower the fat content
- Serving Size: 2 1/4 cups
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 1063 mg
- Fat: 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.9 g
- Fiber: 5.9 g
- Protein: 19.8
- Cholesterol: 84 mg
Keywords: Soup, Tuscan Soup, Zuppa Tuscana, Soup with Beans