My name is Alisa the recipe developer and food photographer behind The Delicious Spoon. My focus is on healthier family recipes that are easy to make tasty treats. For more great recipes visit www.thedeliciousspoon.com. I am really excited to be a guest blogger for Ontario Bean Growers, thanks for the opportunity!
This Crockpot Chili is a family favourite all year long. Hearty, spicy, filling and cooks while you are out and about. Made with fresh lean ground beef, fresh chopped veggies and spices. The perfect meal for busy people on the go!
2 lbs extra lean ground beef or turkey
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 cups beef broth
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
½ tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
½ cup shredded cheese, optional
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
- Add ground beef or turkey to frying pan on medium-high heat. Cook until all beef is browned breaking up the meat into small pieces with the end of a wooden spoon. Drain fat from pan and add the beef to a 2-quart slow cooker.
- Using the same pan; add chopped onion, jalapeno and green peppers and minced garlic cloves. Sautee on medium heat until onions start to look translucent in colour. Add sautéed ingredients to the crockpot.
- Add kidney beans, crushed tomatoes and beef broth to crockpot and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl add chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add to wet ingredients in the crockpot and mix well.
- Simmer covered on low for 3-4 hours stirring occasionally.
Serve topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped avocado. Tortilla chips or garlic toast and a fresh tossed salad go great as sides to the easy family dinner.