Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition (For 1 serving)
|1 small||Butternut squash, halved and seeded|
|2 tbsp||Canola oil, divided||30 mL|
|1/4 tsp||each salt and pepper||1 mL|
|19 oz||Romano beans, drained and rinsed (1 can)||540 mL|
|1 small||Onion, finely diced|
|3 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|3 sprigs||Fresh thyme|
|1 can||Full-fat coconut milk||400 mL|
|2 cups||Vegetable broth||500 mL|
|Optional garnish: sour cream and nutmeg|
Warm up with a big bowl of this smooth and flavourful soup made with roasted butternut squash, creamy coconut milk and garlicy Romano beans. Serve with a swirl of sour cream for an added creaminess.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Coat squash with 1 tbsp (15 m) canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on parchment-lined baking sheet, roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven, flip and allow to cool.
- Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large stock pot, heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and thyme sprigs; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in beans, coconut milk, and vegetable broth. Using a large spoon, scoop both halves of roasted squash into pot; stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs. Using an immersion blender, purée until smooth. Ladle into bowls, and top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg, if desired.
Tip: Roast the butternut squash a day or two ahead, refrigerate until ready to use.