Bean Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce
- 2 cups well-cooked white pea beans (500 mL)
- 3/4 cup evaporated skim milk (175 mL)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50 mL)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (50 mL
- 2 tbsp apple butter* (25 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (2 mL)
- 6 tsp chopped pecan (30 mL)
- 2 tbsp butter (25 mL)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (125 mL)
- 1 tbsp corn syrup (15 mL)
- 2 tbsp whipping cream (25 mL)
Place the beans in a food processor. Purée until smooth along with 1/2 cup of the evaporated skim milk. Add the eggs, sugars, applesauce, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and process using several on/off turns until combined. Gradually add remaining evaporated milk and process until combined. Spoon mixture into 6 – 1/2 cup (125 mL) ramekins.
Place ramekins in a shallow baking dish. Pour hot water to reach halfway up the sides.
Place in a preheated 350 F (180 C) oven for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Serve drizzled with butterscotch sauce and topped with 1 tsp. (5 mL) chopped pecans.
Makes 6 servings
In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and corn syrup and cook gently until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the whipping cream and bring to a boil. Let cool slightly before serving.
Makes 1/2 cup
Substitute apple sauce for apple butter if not available
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 10 g