Sautéed spinach and white pea beans are stuffed into bread boats and topped with eggs, crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese for a filling weekend breakfast.
- 4 (8-inch/20 cm) whole wheat sub rolls
- 2 tbsp butter, divided (30 mL)
- 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped (750 mL)
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup milk (125 mL)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (5 mL)
- 1 tsp each salt and freshly cracked black pepper (5 mL)
- 1 cup white pea beans (navy beans), drained and rinsed (250 mL)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (250 mL)
Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
Cut a deep “V” lengthwise along the tops of each sub roll, hollowing out the center. Place rolls on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and brush over sub rolls.
In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, melt remaining butter and add spinach; sauté until wilted, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium bowl or large measuring cup with spout, add eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper; whisk until combined.
Divide the cooked spinach, beans and bacon evenly among bread boats. Carefully pour egg mixture into bread boats. Top with cheddar cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes, until eggs are set and cheese is melted.
To lower sodium content, use no salt added canned white pea beans
Serve with sliced tomatoes and side fruit salad
Keywords: Breakfast Boats, Bean Breakfast Boats, Eggs Baked in Bread