These easy cashew chicken lettuce wraps will quickly become your families go-to recipe when you need a meal in a pinch. Packed with protein and fibre this one-pot meal also has a hidden serving of vegetables.
- 1 (19 oz) can white pea beans (navy beans), drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (15 mL)
- 1 lb ground chicken (0.5 kg)
- 1 package shiitake mushroom caps, stems removed, chopped( 100 g)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce (50 mL)
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce (45 mL)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (15 mL)
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger (2.5 mL)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup unsalted cashews, roughly chopped (175 mL)
- 2 heads butter lettuce, leaves separated (10 large leaves)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- Optional garnish: Sesame seeds and hot sauce
Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water; set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken; cook 5 minutes, breaking up large pieces with a spatula, until browned. Add chopped shiitake mushroom caps and white pea beans, cook 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, cornstarch, ginger, and garlic. Stir into skillet with bean and meat blend; cook over low heat until sauce has thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in cashews; remove from heat.
Serve in lettuce “cups,” topped with green onions, sesame seeds, and hot sauce to taste, if desired.
- Substitute romaine hearts for butter lettuce.
- For a heartier wrap add a spoonful of cooked rice before filling with chicken & bean mixture.
- Serving Size: 2 wraps
- Calories: 421
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 1040 mg
- Fat: 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.7 g
- Fiber: 7.0 g
- Protein: 28.4 g
- Cholesterol: 78 mg