Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Warm up with a big bowl of this smooth and flavourful soup made with roasted butternut squash, creamy coconut milk and garlicy Romano beans. Serve with a swirl of sour cream for an added creaminess.
- 1 small butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided (30 mL)
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper (1 mL)
- 1 (19 oz) can Romano beans, drained and rinsed (540 mL)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk 4(00 mL)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (500 mL)
- Optional garnish: sour cream and nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Coat squash with 1 tbsp (15 m) canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down on parchment-lined baking sheet, roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven, flip and allow to cool.
Pour beans into a colander or strainer, rinse with cold water; set aside.
In a Dutch oven or large stock pot, heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and thyme sprigs; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in beans, coconut milk, and vegetable broth. Using a large spoon, scoop both halves of roasted squash into pot; stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove thyme sprigs. Using an immersion blender, purée until smooth. Ladle into bowls, and top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg, if desired.
Tip: Roast the butternut squash a day or two ahead, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 440
- Sugar: 37.6 g
- Sodium: 262 mg
- Fat: 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 18.6 g
- Trans Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 66.3 g
- Fiber: 11.3 g
- Protein: 11.5g
- Cholesterol: 16 mg