- 4 cups WHITE PEA BEANS, soaked and cooked (1 L)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (50 mL)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato sauce (7 1/2 oz./213 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups water (375 mL)
- 3 tbsp honey (50 mL)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp oregano (5 mL)
- 1/8 tsp powdered cloves (0.5 mL)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, cubed (optional) (125 mL)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (50 mL)
In a medium saucepan heat oil, add onions and garlic, saute 3-5 minutes until onion is soft. Add tomato sauce, water, vinegar, honey and seasonings; simmer 5 minutes. In shallow greased 2 qt (2 L) baking dish mix beans and sauce. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven uncovered 50 minutes. Add water if mixture becomes dry. Remove bay leaf, stir in feta cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake 10 minutes more. Serve with shish-kebob and salad.
In a 2 qt. (2 L) micro-proof casserole combine oil, onions and garlic; cover and heat at 100% power for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, water, vinegar, honey, seasonings and beans. Heat uncovered at 100% power for 45-60 minutes until beans become tender. Stir every 15 minutes. Cover, add water if mixture becomes dry. Remove bay leaf, stir in feta cheese, sprinkle with parmesan on top. Heat uncovered at 50% power until cheese starts to melt.
- Fat: 11 g
- Protein: 17 g