Meaty Maple Baked Beans
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours and 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4-6 1x
- Category: Dinner, Comfort Food
We are all busy people and time is precious. I kept that in mind when I decided to create this recipe. Sure you could buy dried beans and soak them overnight but if you are tight on time and want to whip this up quick and simple for your family grab canned beans instead.
I also believe baked beans should be a one stop meal not a side dish so I loaded it with meat; bacon, pork and sausage. Grab some toast or garlic bread, a side salad and your meal is complete.
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 links pork sausage (I used maple garlic), skin removed and crumbled
- 2 thick pork loin chops, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can butter beans (lima bean), rinsed and drained
- 1 can baked beans, maple flavour
- 1 can dark beer (I used a dark lager but a porter or stout would work) (optional)
- 2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Heat a large oven safe pan over medium high heat. Preheat oven to 250F.
- Add the bacon, sausage and pork. Cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to brown.
- Add the onion, garlic and beans.
- Stir in the beer, worchestershire, ketchup, maple syrup, mustard and brown sugar and bring to a boil.
- Place in oven, covered and cook low and slow for 1 1/2 hours.
- Place pan back on stove, remove lid and simmer for 20 minutes to thicken up sauce.
Keywords: baked beans, navy beans