Oven Roasted Vegetable & Bean Stew
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3–4 tbsp olive oil 50-75 mL)
- 2 medium onions, chopped into large pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thickly sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped into large pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped into large pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and each cut into 6 pieces
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered 250 g)
- 1 can (28 oz./796 mL) plum tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock 250 mL)
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz./156 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups white pea beans (navy beans), soaked and cooked or canned, drained and rinsed (500 mL)
- salt, pepper and crushed chilies to taste
In a colander, place cubed eggplant and sprinkle with 2 tbsp (25 mL) of salt. Set a heavy plate on top of the eggplant and let rest for 1 hour to take bitterness out of the skin. Rinse thoroughly with cold water and drain. Pat dry with paper towels.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp (25 mL) of olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant and garlic and saute quickly until golden. Remove and place in a large oven-proof casserole.
In the skillet, saute remaining vegetables except the beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce, using additional olive oil as required for 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to casserole.
In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, stock, beans, tomato paste and seasonings until well combined. Add mixture to the vegetables in the casserole and stir until sauce is evenly distributed. Cover with foil and bake at 350° F (180° C) for 1 hour.
- Calories: 263
- Sodium: 726 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 10 g