- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
- 8 oz mushrooms, finely chopped (250 g)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour (5 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups beef or vegetable stock (375 mL)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste (45 mL)
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (25 mL)
- 4 cups cooked white bean beans (navy beans) (1 L)
- 1 tsp dried thyme (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram (2 mL)
- 1 can (12 oz/341 mL) corn niblets, drained
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or milk (175 mL)
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine (25 mL)
- 1/4 tsp paprika (1 mL)
- salt and pepper
In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic; sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are softened. Sprinkle with flour; stir in stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, white pea beans, thyme and marjoram. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spread bean mixture in an 8-cup (2 L) casserole dish and layer with corn.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook potatoes until tender. Drain and mash. Add buttermilk and butter; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place spoonfuls of potato over corn and spread evenly. (Recipe can be prepared up to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to one day). Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 40 minutes (45 to 60 minutes if refrigerated) or until filling is bubbling.
- Calories: 428
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 75 g
- Fiber: 12 g
- Protein: 18 g