- 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (50 mL)
- 1 tsp dry mustard (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves (1 mL)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp gluten-free Worcestershire sauce (15 mL)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup bean purée (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (125 mL)
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion (15 mL)
- 1/2 tsp table salt (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (1 mL)
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef (450 g)
Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Lightly grease an 8×8-inch square pan. In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, sugar, mustard, chilli powder, cloves, garlic and Worcestershire sauce until well blended.
In a large bowl, whisk together half of the tomato mixture, the egg, lentil or bean purée, bread crumbs, onion, salt and pepper until well blended. Add the ground beef and mix with a spatula or with your hands until well blended. Place the mixture in the pan and spread the remaining tomato mixture on top.
Bake until nicely browned or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165ºF (74ºC) degrees when inserted into the center of the loaf, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Calories: 442
- Sodium: 825 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 38 g