- 2 can (14 oz./398 mL ) Beans in Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup cooked and cubed chicken or turkey (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup cooked, diced garlic sausage or Polish salami sausage (125 mL)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (175 mL)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (125 mL)
- 1/3 cup water (75 mL)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (5 mL)
- 2 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (500 mL)
- 3 tbsp melted margarine (50 mL)
- 1 tsp dry mustard (5 mL)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (optional) (50 mL)
In a lightly greased casserole, combine all ingredients except for topping ingredients.
Mix bread crumbs, margarine and mustard together; sprinkle over bean mixture.
Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven in 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling. If desired, sprinkle cheese on top during last 5 minutes of baking time. Serve with whole wheat bread.
In a 2 quart (2L) microwaveable casserole, combine all ingredients except for topping ingredients. Microwave covered on HIGH for 8-10 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Combine bread crumbs, margarine and mustard; sprinkle over bean mixture. Microwave uncovered on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) for 8-10 minutes or until bubbling around edges. If desired, sprinkle cheese on top; cover and let stand until cheese melts.
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 12.5 g
- Sodium: 701 mg
- Fat: 9.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.9 g
- Fiber: 6.5 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg