- 1 cup white bean flour (250 mL)
- 1 cup pure, uncontaminated, rolled oats (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar (125 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (7 mL)
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon (4 mL)
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp table salt (1 mL)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or buttery spread, melted (125 mL)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided (10 mL)
- 2/3 cup berry preserves or berry jam (150 mL)
Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line an 8-inch square nonstick pan with foil that extends over the edges to make handles for easy removal. Grease the foil.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the white bean flour, oats, sugar, xanthan gum, cinnamon, allspice and salt until thoroughly blended. Add the melted butter and 1 tsp (5 ml) of the vanilla and mix with a spatula until crumbly. Press 1 cup (250 ml) of this mixture firmly and evenly on the bottom of the pan.
Mix the remaining tsp of vanilla with the preserves and spread evenly on top. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the preserves and pat firmly to make an even crust.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Cool bars in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Use the foil handles to lift the bars onto a cutting board. Cool completely before cutting.
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 194
- Sodium: 58 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g