- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 10 breadsticks 1x
- 1 tbsp instant (quick-rise) yeast (15 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar (7 mL)
- 1 cup warm milk (110 F/ 43 C) of choice, plus 2 tbsp (30mL) for brushing on top 250 mL)
- 1/2 cup white bean flour (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese or substitute or choice, grated (125 mL)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
- 2 tsp xanthan gum (10 mL)
- 1 tsp onion powder (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp table salt (2 mL)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds (15 mL)
Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC) for 10 minutes; then turn it off.
Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup (250 ml) of milk and let stand 5 minutes. Grease a 13×9-inch baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, beat yeast-milk mixture, bean flour, cornstarch, parmesan cheese, oil, xanthan gum, onion powder and salt on medium speed for 30 seconds. Dough will be soft and sticky.
place dough in 1 gallon (4 quarts or 3.75 L), heavy-duty plastic freezer bag. Snip ½-inch diagonally on corner with scissors. Squeeze dough out of plastic bag onto sheet in 12 strips, each 1-inch wide by 6 inches long. Brush breadsticks with remaining milk; sprinkle with poppy seeds.
Place in oven to rise for 20 to 30 minutes. Then, leaving breadsticks in oven, turn oven to 400ºF (205ºC) and bake until golden brown – about 20 minutes. Rotate cookie sheet halfway through baking to assure even browning. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack; serve slightly warm.
- Serving Size: 1 breadstick
- Calories: 112
- Sodium: 174 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g